GMAT Books Free for Download

Download link for all these material ( Free ) : Download Here

5 gb gmat Material Free Download

University of Basel

The University of Basel (German: Universität Basel) is located at Basel, Switzerland.
Founded in 1460, it is Switzerland's oldest university.

Erasmus, Paracelsus, Daniel Bernoulli, Jacob Burckhardt, Leonhard Euler, Friedrich Nietzsche, Eugen Huber, Carl Jung, Karl Barth, and Hans Urs von Balthasar are among those associated with the university, which is nowadays noted for research into tropical medicine.

The University of Basel was founded in connection with the Council of Basel. The deed of foundation given in the form of a Papal bull by Pope Pius II on November 12, 1459, and the official opening ceremony was held on April 4, 1460. Originally the University of Basel was decreed to have four faculties, namely those of arts, medicine, theology and jurisprudence. The faculty of arts served until 1818 as foundation for the other three academic subjects.

Over the course of centuries as many scholars came to the city, Basel became an early center of book printing and humanism. Around the same time as the university itself, the University Library of Basel was founded. Today it has over three million books and writings and is the largest library in Switzerland.

This University is also renowned for its former research into Earth Sciences, Slavistics and Astronomy.


Faculty of Humanities (Phil I)
Faculty of Science (Phil II)
Business and Economy

Interdisciplinary institutions
  • Europainstitut
  • Jewish Studies
  • Mensch-Gesellschaft-Umwelt (MGU)
  • Centre for African Studies Basel (ZASB)
  • Kulturmanagement
  • Gender Studies

Associated institutes
  • Swiss Tropical Institute
  • Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research (FMI)

The University has a Department called Biozentrum:

The Biozentrum is a Department of the University of Basel. It is a basic research institute, covering the research areas of biochemistry, biophysical chemistry, microbiology, structural biology, and cell biology of the Faculty of natural sciences, as well as the areas of pharmacology and neurobiology of the medical Faculty. In 2001, the new fields of bioinformatics, genomics & proteomics, and a nanosciences branch have been introduced. A second building has been constructed next to the Biozentrum which was inaugurated in fall 2000, the so called “Pharmazentrum”. It hosts some Biozentrum research groups, including the bioinformatics unit and Applied Microbiology as well as the Zoological Institute of the Basel University. Additionally, various research units of the Department of Clinical and Biological Sciences (DKBW) and the Pharmaceutical Department are located here. Last but not least, the Center of Pharmaceutical Sciences Basel-Zurich and the Microscopy Unit of the University share its space.

The Biozentrum was founded in 1971, giving room to an – at that time – quite innovative idea: the unification of various domains of the biological and natural sciences under the same roof. Its goal was to facilitate collaboration with other research areas – a successful concept, as it turned out that nowadays the different research areas cannot be considered separately. They depend on a tight collaboration and profit from each other.

University of Basel ranked 114th in the 2007 THES-QS World University Ranking

University of Basel ranked 131st in the 2008 THES-QS World University Ranking
University of Basel ranked 108th in the 2009 THES-QS World University Ranking

Australian National University

The Australian National University, commonly abbreviated to ANU, is a public research university situated in Canberra, Australia. It was established by an act of the Parliament of Australia on 1 August 1946, with the legislated purpose of conducting and promoting research in Australia.

The university is a member of several university alliances and cooperative networks, including the Group of Eight (Australian Universities), the Association of Pacific Rim Universities, the Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy and the International Alliance of Research Universities. The University consistently ranks highly on several international surveys, including the Newsweek Top 100 and the annual Times Higher Education Supplement rankings. Its notable staff and alumni include five Nobel laureates. The University is governed by a 15-member council.

The ANU is the only Australian university to be established by an act of federal Parliament. The Australian National University Act 1946-47 was introduced into parliament by the then Prime Minister, Ben Chifley, and Minister for Post-war Reconstruction, J.J. Dedman. The bill was passed on 1 August 1946 with support from Opposition Leader Robert Menzies. A group of eminent Australian scholars were involved in the infancy of the ANU, including a leader in radar development and nuclear physics, Sir Mark Oliphant; the discoverer of the benefits of penicillin, Sir Howard Florey; eminent historian, Sir Keith Hancock; and renowned economist and public servant, Herbert ‘Nugget’ Coombs.

After its establishment, the university conducted research and provided only postgraduate education. The former Canberra University College was amalgamated into the Australian National University in 1960, as the School of General Studies, to provide for the education of undergraduate students.
The university's seven Colleges combine research with research-led teaching and are responsible for undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
The Colleges
ANU School of Art

ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences

ANU College of Asia and the Pacific

ANU College of Business and Economics

ANU College of Engineering and Computer Science

ANU College of Law

ANU College of Medicine and Health Science

ANU College of Science
The Institute of Advanced Studies

The Institute is focused on post-graduate education and research and comprises nine research schools and a research centre:

Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics
Research School of Biological Sciences
Research School of Chemistry
Research School of Earth Sciences
Research School of Information Sciences and Engineering
Research School of Pacific and Asian Studies
Research School of Physical Sciences and Engineering
Research School of Social Sciences
The John Curtin School of Medical Research
The Centre for Resource and Environmental Studies

Academic leaders have included Professors: Manning Clark (historian); Bart Bok (astronomer) and Hanna Neumann (mathematician). Notable alumni include current leader of the opposition in Australian Parliament, Kevin Rudd.

The ANU's main campus is located in, and occupies most of the Canberra suburb of Acton. The campus covers 1.45 km² (350 acres) adjoining native bushland, Black Mountain, Lake Burley Griffin, the suburb of Turner and the city centre. Eight of the university's nine affiliated halls and colleges are located on campus, while Fenner Hall is located on Northbourne Avenue in the nearby suburb of Braddon.

The halls and colleges are:
Bruce Hall.
Ursula Hall.
Fenner Hall.
Burgmann College.
John XXIII College.
Burton & Garran Hall.
Toad Hall.
University House.
Graduate House.
University Lodge

With over 10,000 trees on its "green" campus, the ANU was awarded the Silver Greenhouse Challenge Award at the annual Australian Engineering Excellence Awards in 2003.

The Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics (RSAA) is located away from the main campus in Acton, at the Mount Stromlo Observatory, near Weston Creek in south Canberra. RSAA also runs the Siding Spring Observatory near Coonabarabran, New South Wales. Since the destruction of Mount Stromlo's telescopes in the Canberra bushfires of 2003, this is ANU's only telescope site. The university also runs a coastal campus at Kioloa on the South Coast of New South Wales dedicated to field work training, and a North Australia Research Unit in Darwin in the Northern Territory.

Students on all campuses are represented by the ANU Students' Association. Representation for postgraduate students is provided by the Postgraduate and Research Students' Association (PARSA), a member of the Council of Australian Postgraduate Associations.

Australian National University ranked 16th in the 2007 THES-QS World University ranking

Australian National University ranked 16th in the 2008 THES-QS World University ranking

Australian National University ranked 17th in the 2009 THES-QS World University ranking
Australian National University ranked 20th in the 2010 QS World University ranking

University of Auckland

The University of Auckland (Māori: Te Whare Wānanga o Tāmaki Makaurau) is New Zealand's largest university. Established in 1883 as a constituent college of the University of New Zealand, the university is now made up of eight faculties over six campuses, and has more than 39,000 students at April 2006. Over 1300 doctoral candidates were enrolled at the University of Auckland in 2004.
It offers a wide range of programmes including Arts, Business, Education, Music, Teacher Training and Special Education, Architecture, Planning, Nursing, Creative and Performing Arts, Theology, Science, Information Management, Engineering, Medicine, Optometry, Food and Wine Science, Property, Law, Fine and Visual Arts and Pharmacy.

It also provides the most conjoint combinations across the entire nation, with over 35 combinations available. Conjoint programs allow students to achieve multiple degrees in a shortened period of time.

The University of Auckland was formally opened on 23 May 1883 as Auckland University College, part of the University of New Zealand. A disused courthouse and jail served as premises for the 95 students and 4 teaching staff.

The roll increased slowly but steadily during the remainder of the 19th century; by 1901 it had risen to 156 students.

Most students were enrolled part-time, training as teachers or law clerks, although after 1905 the number of commerce students rose markedly.

During this time, the University focused on teaching: research was not expected, and was rarely performed by teaching staff. Nevertheless, some students carried out impressive early research, most notably in chemistry.

The rise of research: 1930-1940s
A surge of interest in academic research at the University arose during the depression of the early 1930s.

A lecturer in history, J. C. Beaglehole, had his temporary position terminated; friends believed this was because of a letter he wrote to a newspaper, defending the right of Communists to distribute their literature. This led to a Council election in which a liberal candidate displaced a conservative member, and Council gradually began to adopt resolutions in favour of academic freedom.

The College subsequently "came alive". For instance, a group of students, led by James Bertram, established a new literary journal, Phoenix, which became the focus for the first literary movement in New Zealand history.

The University received a further intellectual stimulus in 1934 when four new professors arrived. H.G Forder (Mathematics), Arthur Sewell (English), C. G. Cooper (Classics) and James Rutherford (History) all led the way in establishing Auckland University College as an internationally respected research institution.

Postwar expansion: 1950s-70s
The 1950s were a difficult period in the history of The University of Auckland: the roll had soared after World War II, reaching 4000 by 1959, and buildings were inadequate and overcrowded.

However, despite these problems, there was significant progress. In 1962, the abolition of the University of New Zealand saw the University finally become independent.

New subjects such as Geography, Anthropology, Maori Studies, and Fine Arts were introduced, and there was a new focus on staff research. Many of the new and younger academics became very active researchers, as evidenced by the growing lists of staff publications. Staff salaries were raised and for the first time students were given generous bursaries, resulting in a rapid increase in the proportion of full-time students.

The University undertook a massive building programme, and over the next two decades the campus was transformed as one large building after another was erected. By the end of the 1960s The University of Auckland had the largest university library in New Zealand.

New teaching subjects were introduced, including Political Studies, Art History and Sociology, and in 1968 teaching commenced in the new Medical School.

The academic boom of the sixties continued well into the seventies, and by 1970 there were 9300 students. Council focus shifted to a desire to increase student facilities, which ultimately resulted in the acquisition of a theatre, a large gymnasium and recreation centre, and a playing field complex.

The University was also quick to accept the challenges of new technological advancements of the era, introducing new subjects such as Management Studies and Computer Science.

The 1970s also brought numerous social changes, such as an increase in the proportion of Maori and Polynesian students and the numbers of female and mature students. In the years 1975-81 the first two female professors were appointed: Marie Clay and Patricia Bergquist.

Further growth: 1980s-1990s
By 1986, the roll had climbed to 13,000. Anxious to respond to a demand for University education, The University of Auckland began to offer courses at Northland Polytechnic, Manukau Polytechnic and at the Auckland College of Education.

Acquiring buildings from the Commonwealth Games Village, the University also began to develop a campus at Tamaki, initially offering courses in commerce, and then in arts and sciences.

The period of intensive new construction, begun in the 1960s, drew to a close with completion of the new School of Music in 1986 and the Marae complex in 1988. Education and the Law School moved into a new precinct in 1992.

Looking to the future: 2000 and beyond
Today, The University of Auckland is the largest university in New Zealand, hosting over 40,000 students on five Auckland campuses, with a School of Theology, and eight faculties representing each of its main disciplines: Arts, Business and Economics, Creative Arts and Industries, Education, Engineering, Law, Medical and Health Sciences, and Science. Almost all teaching staff engage in research which attempts to advance the frontiers of knowledge and understanding, and around 5000 students are enrolled for postgraduate studies, 1200 of whom are undertaking doctorates.

The University has continued to improve its facilities, with a new information and student commons complex already complete on the City Campus; new teaching and research spaces at Tamaki Campus; and a new state-of-the-art home for the Business School recently completed.

University arms
The University Arms (crest) were granted by Letters Patent on 15 February 1962, and are recorded in the College of Arms, London.

The open book with seven clasps on either side, and the three stars express the idea of learning pursued under the sky of the Southern Hemisphere.

The kiwis signify New Zealand; the wave beneath them represents Auckland's coastal location.

University motto
The University's motto is: "Ingenio et Labore".

Freely translated from the Latin, it means "by natural ability and hard work".


The City campus, in central Auckland, has the bulk of the students and faculties. It covers 160,000 m².

The Tamaki campus, established in 1991, covers 320,000 m² in the suburb of Glen Innes, 12 km from the City campus. The degrees available here are based on Health, Sports Science, Environmental Science, Wine Science, Information Technology, Communications and Electronics, Materials and Manufacturing, Food and Biotechnology and Information Management.

The Medical and Health Services Campus, established in 1968, is located close to the City Campus in the suburb of Grafton, opposite Auckland City Hospital. The Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, School of Pharmacy and Department of Optometry are based here.

The North Shore Campus, established in 2001, was located in the suburb of Takapuna. It offered the Bachelor of Business and Information Management degree. At the end of 2006, the campus was closed and the degree relocated to the City campus.

On 1 September 2004, the Auckland College of Education amalgamated with the University to form the newest Faculty of the University (by merging the School of Education (previously part of the Arts Faculty) and the college). The faculty is based at the Epsom Campus of the former college with an additional campus in Whangarei.

The University of Auckland ranked 50 in the 2007 THES - QS World University Rankings
The University of Auckland ranked 65 in the 2008 THES - QS World University RankingsThe University of Auckland ranked 61 in the 2009 THES - QS World University RankingsThe University of Auckland ranked 68 in the 2010 QS World University Rankings

University of Arizona

The University of Arizona is the leading public research university in the American Southwest. The UA produces more than $530 million in annual research and is the state's only member of the prestigious Association of American Universities. This is a diverse community of people who thrive on innovation and collaboration. Our world-class faculty create discoveries that improve the human condition and fuel the state's economy. Our research enterprise provides undergraduate students with opportunities for hands-on experiences that can be found in few universities in the world. As the state's land-grant university, our research and resources enrich communities around the state and around the world.

The University of Arizona offers a wide variety of academic programs, many of which are among the nation's best. Students can choose from more than 150 undergraduate and more than 200 graduate degree programs offered through 18 colleges and 12 schools on three campuses.


The University of Arizona was approved by the Arizona Territory's Thieving Thirteenth Legislature in 1885. The city of Tucson had hoped to receive the appropriation for the territory's mental hospital, which carried a $100,00 allocation instead of the $25,000 allotted to the territory's only university (the antecedent to Arizona State University was also chartered in 1885, but it was created as Arizona's normal school, and not a university). Tucson's contingent of legislators was delayed in reaching Prescott due to flooding on the Salt River and by the time they arrived back-room deals allocating the most desirable territorial institutions had already been made. Tucson was largely disappointed at receiving what was viewed as an inferior prize. With no parties willing to step forth and provide land for the new institution, the citizens of Tucson prepared to return the money to the Territorial Legislature until two gamblers and a saloon keeper decided to donate the land necessary to build the school. Classes met for the first time in 1891 with 32 students in Old Main, the first building constructed on campus, and still in use to this day.

Because there were no high schools in Arizona Territory, the University maintained separate preparatory classes for the first 23 years of operation.


College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Engaged in teaching, research, and outreach in many fields within environment and natural resources; family, youth and community; human nutrition, food safety, health; marketing, trade and economics; animal systems; and plant systems.

College of Architecture and Landscape Architecture
Accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) and the Landscape Architecture Accreditation Board (LAAB).

College of Education
Prepares students for careers as elementary and secondary school teachers, and non-teaching, entry-level human services positions in social services agencies, programs for the disabled, and group homes.

College of Engineering
Plays a pivotal role in providing the research, technology, and engineering expertise necessary for growth and diversity in the economy. Graduates of the college are the entrepreneurs developing high-tech companies, creating jobs, and improving our quality of life.

College of Fine Arts
Offers programs to prepare students for careers in the performing, visual and media arts. Opportunities range from performing and production to teaching, exhibition, administration and technology.

College of Humanities
Through the study of language, literature, and culture, programs in Humanities emphasize the importance of critical, creative, thinking and writing. Students prepare for careers in education, public service, international business and the foreign service.

College of Law
A nationally prominent law school with a rigorous academic program that prepares lawyers for leadership and service throughout the nation and world.

College of Medicine
While providing knowledge and skills basic to the practice of medicine, the College of Medicine inculcates students with fundamental attitudes of compassionate patient care and a spirit and desire for lifelong independent learning and scholarship.

College of Nursing
Prepares students for the nursing profession and graduate school. The UA College of Nursing is nationally accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing, and affiliated with the American Association of Colleges of Nursing and the Western Institute of Nursing.

College of Optical Sciences
Our BS, MS, and PhD programs focus on providing students with a broad education in all areas of optics and on educating students with practical experience and competitive technical skills.

Outreach College
Coordinates distance learning, correspondence, continuing education, Evening & Weekend Campus, and programs for children and seniors.

College of Pharmacy
Offers Pharm D,M.A. and PhD degrees. A member of the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy and accredited by the American Council on Pharmaceutical Education.

College of Science
Conducts programs which span the biological, mathematical, and physical sciences. Emphases are on teaching a fundamental understanding of scientific knowledge, discovering new knowledge, and applying that knowledge to solving problems.

College of Social and Behavioral Sciences
Focuses on the understanding of human beings, the groups they form, and the societies and cultures they create. SBS provides research and a diverse interdisciplinary education for students.

Eller College of Management
Delivers business and leadership education through undergraduate and graduate programs emphasizing innovation, integrity, and cutting-edge research balanced with experiential learning.

Graduate College
The administrative unit that oversees all of the graduate programs offered at the UA.

Honors College
Fosters an enduring spirit of inquiry and discovery by providing academic opportunities, such as Honors courses, research experiences, and intellectual dialogues, for artistically and academically talented students.

Mel & Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health
Focuses on health promotion, prevention of disease, and public health education. Research programs involve health promotion in border communities, smoking prevention and cessation, women's health, substance abuse among youth and environmental hazards along the Arizona/Mexico border.

UA South
UA South is located about 75 miles southeast of Tucson in Sierra Vista. UA South offers upper division programs to allow students from Arizona community colleges to complete a degree.

University College
Academic home for "undecided" or "exploratory" students at the UA. Providing academic advising services as well as help and resources for students exploring majors.


Known for an interest in desert architecture and an emphasis on integrating environmental analysis into building design.

Provides programs designed to prepare undergraduate and graduate students for professional careers in studio art, graphic design and illustration, art history, and art education.

Prepares students for careers as performers, choreographers, movement specialists and teachers and develops scholarly foundations for specialized and advanced degree work.

Family and Consumer Sciences
Offers programs for careers in retailing, family studies, and family and consumer sciences education. Its close ties with the community ensure that programs reflect the changing needs of society

Information Resources & Library Science
Provides opportunities to prepare for a meaningful career in the library and information professions in the 21st Century.

Landscape Architecture
A graduate professional degree program which emphasizes landscape and human ecology, socio-cultural and behavioral factors, landscape aesthetics, and artistic principles in a variety of design, planning, and management scenarios.

Media Arts
Offers pre-professional and professional education at the undergraduate level with Bachelor of Arts programs in Aesthetics and Criticism, and Producing, and a Bachelor of Fine Arts program in Production.

Offers a wide variety of degree programs and musical experiences, and presents over three hundred concerts and recitals each year.

Public Administration and Policy
Prepares students for managerial and administrative positions in local, state or federal government agencies and nonprofit agencies.

Theatre Arts
Provides undergraduate and graduate education in professional degree programs and liberal arts in such disciplines as Musical Theatre, Production (Acting, Design), Theatre Studies and Theatre Education.

School of Natural Resources
Provides instruction, research and extension/outreach in a range of disciplines related to the conservation and management of these renewable natural resources.

University of Arizona Ranked 134th in the 2007 THES-QS World University Ranking
University of Arizona Ranked 146th in the 2008 THES-QS World University Ranking
University of Arizona Ranked 166th in the 2009 THES-QS World University Ranking

University of Adelaide

The University of Adelaide (colloquially Adelaide University or Adelaide Uni) is a public university located in Adelaide. Established in 1874, the university is the third oldest in Australia. It has produced five Nobel laureates, 101 Rhodes scholars and is a member of the prestigious Group of Eight, as well as the Sandstone universities.

Its main campus is located on the cultural boulevard of North Terrace in the city-centre alongside prominent institutions such as the Art Gallery of South Australia, the South Australian Museum and the State Library of South Australia. The university also has four other campuses throughout the city: Roseworthy College at Roseworthy; The Waite Institute at Glen Osmond; Adelaide University Research Park at Thebarton; and the National Wine Centre in the Adelaide Park Lands.


The University is divided into five faculties, with various subsidiary schools:

Faculty of Engineering, Computer & Mathematical Sciences: Australian School of Petroleum (ASP); School of Chemical Engineering; School of Civil & Environmental Engineering; School of Computer Science; Education Centre for Innovation & Commercialisation; School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering; School of Mathematical Sciences; School of Mechanical Engineering.

Faculty of Health Sciences: University of Adelaide School of Dentistry ; School of Medical Sciences; Medical School; School of Paediatrics & Reproductive Health; School of Population Health & Clinical Practice; School of Psychology.

Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences: Elder Conservatorium of Music; School of History & Politics; School of Humanities; School of Social Sciences; Wilto Yerlo Centre for Australian Indigenous Research & Studies.

Faculty of the Professions: Graduate School of Business; School of Architecture, Landscape Architecture & Urban Design; School of Commerce; School of Economics; School of Education; Law School.

Faculty of Sciences: School of Agriculture, Food & Wine; School of Chemistry & Physics; School of Earth & Environmental Sciences; School of Molecular & Biomedical Science.

Through forward thinking strategies, the University of Adelaide has capitalised on a number of opportunities to commercialise its research. It engages in extensive contract research and collaborative work in conjunction with local and international companies, as well as Federal, State and Local Governments. This activity is managed by the University's commercial development company, Adelaide Research & Innovation Pty Ltd (ARI).

Some examples of recent influences to the University's teaching and research priorities are the Defence Science and Technology Organisation (DSTO) in Adelaide's northern suburbs to which the University provides many physics, engineering and IT graduates, the growth in South Australia's wine industry which is supported by the Waite and National Wine Centre campuses producing oenology and agriculture/viticulture graduates.

In addition, the university participates in the Auto-ID Labs.

Brief Explanation

Since its establishment in 1874 the University of Adelaide has been amongst Australia's leading universities. Its contribution to the wealth and wellbeing of South Australia and Australia as a whole - across all fields of endeavour - has been enormous.

Studying at the University of Adelaide means being part of a rich tradition of excellence in education and research, with world-class academic staff and a vibrant student life.

Adelaide has a fine tradition of exemplary scholarship and ground-breaking research, and its unique relationship with industry and other organisations ensures that our research expertise is translated into tangible benefits for the global community.

Adelaide's research is at the leading edge of knowledge, with research earnings consistently the highest per capita of any university in Australia. Analysis of the impact of publications and citations shows that the University of Adelaide is ranked in the top 1% in the world in 11 research fields.

An innovative and forward-looking University, Adelaide has major strengths in wine and food, health sciences, biological sciences, physical sciences, information technology and telecommunications, environmental sciences and social sciences.

At the heart of the University's vision, achievement and impact is our commitment to excellence, our sense that a focus on the experience of the student is fundamental, and our belief that research intensity and innovative, high quality teaching have a symbiotic relationship that underpins and characterises the finest universities in the world.

We are committed to producing graduates recognised worldwide for their creativity, knowledge and skills, as well as their culture and tolerance. Our graduates make an impact on the world.

The beginnings

In 1872, the Baptist, Congregational and Presbyterian churches in the province of South Australia founded a Union College "to provide young men with an education beyond school level". Courses were offered in Classics, Philosophy, English Literature, Mathematics and Natural Science.

That same year, a wealthy grazier and copper miner, Walter Watson Hughes, proposed a donation of 20,000 pounds to the new college — an immense sum in those days, and more than enough to found a university.

So the University of Adelaide came into being, with a Bill "for an act to incorporate and endow the University of Adelaide" receiving the Governor's assent on 6 November 1874. The University began teaching in March 1876, with the Bachelor of Arts the first degree offered. The University was formally inaugurated on 25 April 1876, and fully constituted on 2 May 1877, when the admission of 73 graduates of other universities to degrees ad eundem gradum of the University of Adelaide enabled the Senate to be established.

A progressive institution

Adelaide is the third-oldest university in Australia and older than all but a handful of universities in England.

From the start, it was a progressive institution. It was the first Australian university to admit women to academic courses — in 1881, ahead of Oxford (1920) and Cambridge (1948). It was the first Australian university to grant degrees in Science — its first science graduate was also its first woman graduate, Edith Emily Dornwell. It was the first Australian university to establish a Conservatorium of Music, a Chair of Music, and a Doctor of Music, and the first to grant that degree to a woman (Ruby Davy in 1918). Adelaide graduated Australia's first woman surgeon (Laura Margaret Fowler), the first woman elected to a university Council in Australia (Helen Mayo), and the first Australian woman to be a Queen's Counsel, South Australian Supreme Court Judge, Deputy Chancellor and then Chancellor of an Australian university, and Governor of an Australian State — the redoubtable Dame Roma Mitchell.

A reputation for excellence
The University of Adelaide was quick to establish a reputation for excellence in education and research. Teachers and graduates soon made an impact that was felt not only in South Australia but also in national and international arenas.

An early Professor of Mathematics and Physics was Sir William Bragg, who went on to win the Nobel Prize in 1915 for his work on X-ray crystallography. He shared the honour with his son, Sir Lawrence, a graduate of the University.

Another graduate honoured with a Nobel Prize (1945) was Lord Howard Florey, who pioneered the application and manufacture of penicillin.

The early Antarctic explorer, Sir Douglas Mawson, had a 50-year association with the University, including 31 years as Professor of Geology and Mineralogy.

In more recent times, mechanical engineering graduate Dr Andy Thomas was Payload Commander aboard the space shuttle Endeavour on its 10-day mission in 1996. He was also chosen by NASA for the Shuttle-Mir research project, and is now Deputy Chief of the Astronaut Office.

Today, the University's Creative Writing students have the opportunity to benefit from the advice of Nobel Laureate for Literature 2003, JM Coetzee, who in 2002 accepted appointment as an Honorary Visiting Research Fellow within the University.

The Nobel Prize in Medicine 2005 was awarded to Dr J. Robin Warren, who graduated MB BS from the University of Adelaide in 1961. He shares the prize with Barry Marshall "for their discovery of the bacterium Helicobacter pylori and its role in gastritis and peptic ulcer disease," and becomes the fifth person directly associated with the University of Adelaide to win a Nobel Prize.

An international institution

The University of Adelaide has built a rich tradition of excellence to become a leader in Australian higher education and research. Since its foundation, it has produced 100 Rhodes Scholars, and the University is now known internationally for the quality of its programs and its high-calibre graduates, whose skills go beyond the workplace to make an impact on the world.

The University of Adelaide extends across four campuses and accommodates more than 19,000 students, including approximately 4,500 international students from 90 countries. The 1200 high-quality teaching and research staff come from all parts of the globe.

The academic enterprise, by its nature, is not limited by national boundaries, and the University works to ensure that the many informal linkages that exist between its academic staff and their colleagues worldwide are complemented by a series of formal relationships with other universities, as well as non-university institutions, government bodies, NGOs and industry groups, to benefit both its research programs, and the learning and teaching experience of its students.

At the time of writing, the University of Adelaide had in place formal linkages with 138 universities in 25 countries.

Good governance

The University of Adelaide is governed by its Council, which is established by the University of Adelaide Act. The Council's responsibilities are to oversee the management and development of the University, devise or approve strategic plans and major policies, and monitor and review the operation of the University.

Council has 21 members, is chaired by the Chancellor, and is advised by seven standing committees. Other Management Committees advise the Vice-Chancellor and President and senior managers.

The University's Chief Executive Officer is the Vice-Chancellor and President. He is supported by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor & Vice-President (Academic) , Deputy Vice-Chancellor & Vice-President (Research) and Vice-President (Services & Resources).

The University's academic activities are grouped into five Faculties: Engineering, Computer & Mathematical Sciences; Health Sciences; Humanities & Social Sciences; Professions; and Sciences. Each Faculty is headed by an Executive Dean.

University of Adelaide ranked 62nd in the 2007 THES-QS World University Ranking
University of Adelaide ranked 106th in the 2008 THES-QS World University RankingUniversity of Adelaide ranked 81st in the 2009 THES-QS World University RankingUniversity of Adelaide ranked 103rd in the 2010 QS World University Ranking

University of Aberdeen

The University of Aberdeen is Scotland's third oldest and the fifth oldest in the UK. Aberdeen is an international university built on serving one of the most dynamic regions of Europe. With over 13,000 students, and over 3000 staff, we are at the forefront of teaching and research in medicine, the humanities and sciences.

Picturesque and historic Old Aberdeen - home of Elphinstone's original foundation - is now the main university site, only one mile from the city centre. The 15th century remains very much alive in King's College, offering a sense of history in the daily life of a university now focused on the needs of the new millennium.
Founded in 1495 by William Elphinstone, Bishop of Aberdeen and Chancellor of Scotland, The University of Aberdeen is Scotland's third oldest and the UK's fifth oldest University.

William Elphinstone established King's College to train doctors, teachers and clergy for the communities of northern Scotland, and lawyers and administrators to serve the Scottish Crown. Much of the King's College still remains today, as do the proud traditions, which the Bishop began.

The university opened with 36 staff and students and, in 1497, boasted the first chair of medicine in the English-speaking world. But the college also looked outward to the wider world of Europe and beyond, taking the great European universities of Paris and Bologna as its model, Elphinstone's college embraced all the known branches of learning Arts, Theology, and Canon and Civil Law.

In 1593, a second, Post- Reformation University, was founded in the heart of the New Town of Aberdeen by George Keith, fourth Earl Marischal, and until King's College and Marischal College were united to form the modern University of Aberdeen in 1860, Aberdeen had two universities. At first, Arts and Divinity were taught at King's and Law and Medicine at Marischal; a separate Science Faculty - also at Marischal - was only established in 1892. The university opened all Faculties to women in 1892, and in 1894 the first 20 matriculated female students began their studies. Four women graduated in arts in 1898; by the following year, women made up a quarter of the faculty.

Throughout the 20 th century, particularly since the 1950s, Aberdeen consistently increased student recruitment, which is now in excess of 10,000. In the last 10 years, picturesque and historic Old Aberdeen, home of Bishop Elphinstone's original foundation, has again become the main university site.

The University has also invested heavily in medical research, where time and again University staff have demonstrated their skills as world leaders in their field. The custom-built Institute of Medical Sciences, completed in 2002, was designed to provide state-of-the-art facilities for medical researchers and their students.

In 1999, the University launched its ambitious fund-raising campaign, The Sixth Century Campaign, to mark the start of the University's sixth century of existence. With the support of HRH The Prince of Wales as Campaign Patron, our aim is to raise £150 million by 2010.

The fact that the University has become what it is owes much to the determination and vision of a very few individuals, including a distinguished list of scholars who in their own unique ways, helped to shape the University into the world-class institute we have today.

This is only the briefest glimpse into the history of the University of Aberdeen. A far more detailed account can be found in the publication Crown and Gown, written by Jennifer Carter and Colin McLaren and published by Aberdeen University Press. This publication was the main source for this page and permission for use of the material is gratefully acknowledged. Crown and Gown can be purchased at most good book shops - price £6.95.

The University of Aberdeen was founded in 1495 and is the third oldest University in Scotland

Teaching is split into 3 Colleges, The College of Life Sciences & Medicine, The College of Physical Sciences, and The College of Arts and Social Sciences

Over 13,900 students

46% men, 54% women

19% mature undergraduates

120 nationalities

4 Nobel Prizes have been awarded for work carried out or begun at Aberdeen

High quality teaching with over 89% subjects rated Excellent / Highly Satisfactory

Within 6 months 97% of graduates enter directly into work, further study or training

85% of academic staff are research active

Over 590 first degree programmes

Over 110 taught Masters programmes

Over 150 sports clubs and societies

Study abroad options worldwide

Libraries with over 1,050,000 volumes
£240 million investment on infrastructure and facilities over the next ten yearsAcademics
College of Arts and Social Sciences

The College is separated into a number of academic schools:
University of Aberdeen Business School
School of Divinity, History and Philosophy
School of Education Formerly the Aberdeen campus of the Northern College of Education which was amalgamated into the university in the later half of the 1990s.
School of Language & Literature
School of Law
School of Social Science
Graduate School
There are also a number of Research Centres and Institutes
College of Life Sciences and Medicine
The College is separated into four academic schools:
School of Biological Sciences
School of Medical Sciences
School of Medicine
School of Psychology
and is supported by:
Graduate School
Institute of Applied Health Sciences
Institute of Medical Sciences
College of Physical Sciences
The College is divided into two main schools and a number of research centres:
School of Engineering and Physical Sciences:
Department of Chemistry
Department of Computing Science
Department of Engineering
Department of Mathematical Sciences
Department of Physics
School of Geosciences:
Department of Geography & Environment
Department of Geology & Petroleum Geology
Graduate Studies
College Research Centres:
Aberdeen Institute for Coastal Science and Management
Institute of Energy Technologies
Institute for Transport and Rural Research

University of Aberdeen ranked 137th in the 2007 THES-QS World University Ranking
University of Aberdeen ranked 153rd in the 2008 THES-QS World University Ranking
University of Aberdeen ranked 129th in the 2009 THES-QS World University Ranking

Aarhus University

Aarhus Universitet or the University of Aarhus is the second largest university in Denmark (after the University of Copenhagen), based in Århus.

The University of Aarhus is the second oldest and second largest university in Denmark. It was founded in 1928 with 78 students and is still an institution with close ties to the founding local community. Most of the university's yellow-brick buildings are located on our picturesque campus which is situated in a hilly area, with a moraine valley full of large oak trees and a stream that flows into two small lakes.

We believe that attractive, friendly surroundings promote inspiration, industry, and efficiency, helping students and teachers to have a sense of well-being here. We know that the many researchers and students who have spent time at the University of Aarhus over the years have taken warm, living memories home with them and that the bonds they have developed here are strong and durable.

The University of Aarhus is a centre of tradition and innovation, discussion and debate, co-operation and concentration, and we are pleased to be able to share these with others. We value the contributions which international students and researchers make to this tradition and to the cultural and social diversity which enhances the academic experience.

The university has connections with all corners of the world and it is our policy to welcome guests from abroad with open arms.

The University's History

The first chapter of the University of Aarhus' history began with the inauguration of "University studies in Jutland" in Aarhus Technical College's ceremonial hall on the 11th of September 1928.

The municipality of Aarhus allocated a budget of 33,000 Dkr for the first year, classrooms were rented from the Technical College and a teaching corps consisting of one professor of philosophy and four Readers of Danish, English, German and French was assembled.

On inauguration day, 64 students registered. During the first semester the total rose to 78.

A wide circle of citizens from the city's business community, organisations and institutions formed the University Association Aarhus (Universitets-Samvirket), in 1921, which, together with the municipality of Aarhus, formed the impetus in the fight to have Denmark's second university located in Aarhus.

From the beginning, in 1928, it was the University Association's job to participate on the University's board together with representatives from the City Council and a representative for the University's teachers. Another important function was the raising of funds for the construction of university buildings on the site allotted by the municipality in 1929 for the coming University Park.

Up until the 1940's the University's buildings were erected exclusively by means of donations. The national government financed the majority of administrative costs from and including 1932. Use of the name "The University of Aarhus" began in 1933.


The Faculty of Arts, recently renamed the Faculty of Humanities (in accordance with the Danish equivalent Det Humanistiske Fakultet), has offered courses right from the beginning in 1928.

In 1933 the Faculty of Medicine began its courses in basic medical subjects. When the dental school was included in 1992 the name was changed to the Faculty of Health Sciences. In 1997 professor Jens Christian Skou received the Nobel Prize for Chemistry for his discovery of the sodium-potassium pump.

The Faculty of Economics and Law was established in 1936. The name was changed to the Faculty of Social Sciences when Political Science and Psychology were added. From 1938–1940 Theodor Geiger was professor of sociology at the university — Denmark's first.

The Faculty of Theology was established in 1942. Courses in theology had been offered from 1932, being previously taught at the Faculty of Arts.

The Faculty of Science was established in 1954 by moving Physics and Chemistry from the
Faculty of Medicine and Geography from the Faculty of Arts. Mathematics was established as a new subject, followed by Biology and Geology.

The Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, the former Danmarks JordbrugsForskning (DJF), was amalgamated with the university in 2007.

Aarhus School of Business was founded in 1939 and amalgamated with the university in 2007.

The National Environmental Research Institute (NERI) was amalgamated with the university in 2007.

The University of Aarhus ranks amongst the 200 best in the world, and has very strong academic environments within science, health sciences, social sciences, theology and the humanities. The study environment at the university is concentrated around an attractive campus in the centre of the city of Aarhus – with excellent opportunities for interdisciplinary collaboration and contact with all parts of the university. The university is internationally oriented and in a strong state of development, with an extensive academic scope that covers all aspects of the social sectors.

On 1 January 2007, the University of Aarhus merged with the Danish National Environmental Research Institute (NERI), the Danish Institute of Agricultural Sciences (DIAS) and the Aarhus School of Business (ASB). On 28 February 2007, this merger was extended to include the Danish University of Education (DPU). As a result of the merger, the University of Aarhus has considerably increased in size, and is the second-largest university in Denmark. The university has approximately 35,000 students and a staff of about 9,000 (full-time equivalent).

University of Aarhus ranked 114th in the 2007 THES-QS World University Ranking
University of Aarhus ranked 81st in the 2008 THES-QS World University RankingUniversity of Aarhus ranked 63rd in the 2009 THES-QS World University RankingUniversity of Aarhus ranked 84th in the 2010 QS World University Ranking
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Subscribe Google Reader or Homepage Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe with Bloglines Subscribe in NewsGator Online Add to My AOL Add to Technorati Favorites!

users are searching for

users are searching for View